How do you build wooden garden stairs? Don't worry, you can easily make garden stairs yourself! We will explain you in this blog post how to build your garden stairs yourself, it's realy not so hard as you might think.
In this blog post, we will explain how you can easily build outdoor stairs or garden steps yourself.
It is really not as hard as you might think, you can easliy do it yourself!
New in 2021: a ready to go deck stairs kit to build your outdoor stairs!
You can stop counting and calculating, we have already done so for you.
After multiple requests from our customers, we have composed ready to go kits for outdoor stairs. You just simply choose the number of steps you need in order to reach the necessary height, the width you desire, with or without treads and each dek stairs kit that we propose already contains everything that you need in order to build the outdoor stairs! The right number of stringers, steps, treads, all sawn to the right width, and with the right number of screws. Nice and easy, right?
If you prefer to do your own counting and calculating, you can of course do that too: you will find all the advices and supplies further on in this blog post.
We also have new, extra thick and wider steps, specially manufactured for us in Denmark!
If you want to fix the stairs to the wall or floor, please note that you will be needing mounting brackets, which are not included in the deck stairs kit.
Choose the height of the desired staircase below to go to the product, then choose the width and with or without treads:
- Deck stairs kit ready to assemble - 2 steps H37cm
- Gardens stairs kit ready to assemble - 3 steps H54cm
- Gardens stairs kit ready to assemble - 4 steps H71cm
- Gardens stairs kit ready to assemble - 5 steps H88cm
- Gardens stairs kit ready to assemble - 6 steps H105cm
- Gardens stairs kit ready to assemble - 7 steps H122cm
Do you wish to compose your garden steps yourself?
Then let us start by making our shopping list, what do you need in order to build your outdoor stairs?
- at least two staircase stringers for garden stairs
- stair steps for the steps (2 timbers per step)
- screws in stainless steel in order to fix the timbers on the staircase stringers
- galvanized fastening brackets in order to fix the stairs against a wall and on the ground
- an electric or manual screwdriver with the appropriate screwhead
- a drill for drilling holes in the wall in case it is made of stone
- screws for the fastening brackets
- Possibly a timber in case you wish to make a triser
- a level
Now we are going to explain to you step by step how best to make the staircase: :
In this example, we will assume an outdoor staircase with standard timbers for the steps made from impregnated softwood, which you can order from us. You can also use terrace timbers, in which case the steps protrude a little more but that is not a problem, especially if you want to install a riser.
Mounting a standard outdoor staircase
- Place the stringers on their backs on the ground with the points up, side by side with a maximum of 60 cm between them.
We sell timbers of 60 and 120cm. For a width of 60 cm, you will be needing 2 staircase stringers, for a width of 120cm 3 staircase stringers.
- First screw one step at the bottom of the staircase to the widest part of the stringer, and then one step at the top of the staircase, so that the stringers are equally spaced at the top and bottom.
- You can now put the staircase in place against the wall.
Use a spirit level to check whether your stairs are straight.
- Fix the stairs with fastening brackets on the wall and on the ground.
- Then screw all the steps to your staircase